The Bayonne School District Title 1 Department is committed to helping parents make the summer fun and educational for their children. Title 1 students in Kindergarten through Grade 4 will be receiving the following materials that will provide a refresher of math and language arts skills and prepare them for the upcoming school year. The Scholastic Reading Backpacks provide engaging reading materials while the Math-To-Go Backpacks provide the tools needed to strengthen math skills. The Summer Math Skills Sharpener and Summer Language Arts Review books provide a refresher of skills your child learned in the past year. Have fun! This opportunity will provide a great bonding experience for you and your child.
Summer Math Skills Sharpener*
- Provides a review of the grade level just completed.
- Contains 30 to 35 lessons of mixed-skills practice. This means children are exposed to all-important concepts in small doses throughout the summer for the ultimate in reinforcement.
- Is meant to be used 3 - 4 times per week for 10 weeks so that students are exposed to all-important concepts from the beginning of summer to the end. Because most lessons only take about 20 minutes, students can easily fit them into their busy summer schedules.
- Includes tutorial help pages for students and parents to review the mechanics of each type of problem encountered in the book. An answer key is also included for Grades 1-3. Solution pages are included for 4th grade and up.
Summer Language Arts Review*
- Provides a quick refresher of the grade level just completed.
- Contains 30 lessons of mixed skills practice. This means that children are exposed to important concepts several times throughout the summer for the ultimate reinforcement.
- Is meant to be used 3 times per week for 10 weeks so that students are exposed to all-important concepts from the beginning of the summer to the end. Because most lessons take only about 30 minutes, students can easily fit them into their busy summer schedules.
- Covers the important elements of reading, writing, phonics, grammar and more.
- Includes an answer key and grade appropriate reading list.
Source: Tri-C Publications, Inc. www.summerskills.com
Summer Counts! Thematic Reading, Language Arts, and Math Skills
Summer Counts! helps to improve your child’s understanding of important skills learned in the past school year while preparing him or her for the year ahead. It provides grade-appropriate practice in subjects such as reading, language arts, and math. The ten theme-related chapters motivate your child to continue learning throughout the summer months.*
Source: Triumph Learning, www.triumphlearning.com
Scholastic My Books Summer Take Home Book Packs*
Having access to books over the summer months reinforces good learning habits and is critical to maintaining a child's achievement level. My Books Summer offers students fiction and nonfiction titles, Think Sheets to reinforce key learning skills, and Summer Journals with writing prompts to keep kids reading, writing, and talking about books all summer long.
Math-To-Go Read-Aloud Backpacks*
Students in Kindergarten through Grade 4 will each receive grade-appropriate math backpacks. Each pack contains five books, flash cards, activity cards as well as parent activity books.
Help Your Child Learn To Read: A Handbook for Parents of 5-7 Year Olds.
This book provides basic information to help you understand how to prepare your child for reading. It includes easy activities to help develop early reading skills.